Thursday, February 24, 2011

My friend Falko

In 2008, I had the pleasure of living and working abroad in Cape Town, South Africa for my journalism residency. For three months I worked at The Cape Times newspaper and learned a lot. After my internship, I took off for a month to travel the country and study graffiti for a global reporting grant I had been awarded. During this time I was able to meet many wonderful, talented, fascinating people. Craig aka Falko was one of the many talented and prolific artists I met.

I caught up with him the other day and it turns out he is currently completing a massive graffiti project he talked about wanting to undertake back in 2008.

The project is called "Splitpiece: The Darling Made Me Do It." The idea is to take one picture and 'split' it up into pieces and paint the different parts in various places. In effect, it will be like a giant artistic puzzle (in the physical sense--I'll get back to you on the meaning of this mural). Even though the full image will never be together as one, each piece can stand alone as art with its own meaning in its respective location.

The project started this month on Akkerboom Street in Darling East, a residential area (I don't think I've been there before). Craig said he'd be painting on people's houses, both inside and out. I personally don't know how the project can have a unifying feel if one of the pieces is hidden inside someone's house, but that's what further interviews are for.

Craig's words:

"Using a road where people are neighbours and have common space that they share, splitpieces will put sharing space into a different dimension. It will link people in a completely new way no matter what their differences.

The interaction between artists and residents will also have an unusual prolonged relationship. Not only will be spending extensive time in the area doing murals, more importantly we will be spending time with the locals. We will be able to share our visions, ideas and knowledge about what we do (for those who are interested) and they will be able to share their thoughts with us."

Here are some pictures of the pieces so far. I'll be sure to post the completed project when it's done.







Artists Jadas and Nardstar are contributing as well.

Craig is based in Cape Town with his partner Lindsay and their beautiful new baby Femi.

Caroline

No comments: