Thursday, February 24, 2011

MAKE Magazine

I'm currently taking a class in media design back at Northwestern. Somehow I missed what little NU did have to offer as far as visual journalism which sucks, but at least I'm lucky I have the opportunity to try and fix that now.

The class has been really challenging due to my own limitations. I feel like I have a very high learning curve as I've never before touched many of the Adobe programs we use (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop to a degree). It's actually quite ridiculous how much material is supposed to be crammed into nine weeks, one of which we lost because of snowmageddon.

I thought I'd post the most recent assignment we were given for kicks. We were supposed to design the cover and spread of an imaginary pop culture magazine that covers music, movies, TV. I came up with MAKE Magazine. The concept is kind of elitist, but whatever. Stick with what you know, right? :p I wanted to spotlight the people in the industry who actually MAKE the stuff we like. Directors, producers, set designers, costume designers; you get the idea. I'm assuming my reader is someone who appreciates art and popular culture but is clued in enough to know that behind-the-scenes tastemakers are stars themselves (and many times are more deserving of fame and fortune).

The goal of this assignment was to play with colour. For my cover, I chose a black and white photograph of Sofia Coppola (mainly because that was the best I could find... shhh). For the text, I chose the three primary colours (red, yellow, blue) but made them very soft, unlike how we typically see primary colours (think bold, like in childrens' books). Overall, I'm satisfied with how it came together. We'll see what my professor thinks.


Caroline

No comments: