Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Power of Music

Hello again! It's been a while since my last post as it has taken me longer than expected to return to the "default" world as burners call it. I promise pictures and stories of Burning Man to come (there are several half-finished posts sitting in blog purgatory now).


For now, I want to share a video I came across. It's a lovely narrative and it reminds me of a story I heard from Burning Man.


The video:

The Power of Music. A 90-year-old man recounts a remarkable experience he had in WWII.

The BM story, told by a fellow burner I met in the airport:

One of my favorite parts about BM was the pervasive equality. There was no class distinction, there was no status, there was no race. You could be brushing shoulders with a millionaire and not know it. Money was not used (except at Center Camp for iced lattes--yum). Everyone was open and friendly. I met this guy in the Reno airport after the burn and he related to me one of his favorite memories. One day he saw a man in full Islamic attire riding on a bicycle down the road. Walking on the road was another man dressed in a U.S. military uniform. As the men's paths were about to cross, they stopped and looked at each other, the man in Islamic attire descended his bicycle, and they embraced.


Caroline

No comments: