Sunday, August 29, 2010

Burning Man or Bust!

Man, 2009
Tomorrow is the day I leave this world as I know it and enter into an alternate universe of art, radical self-expression and dust. Lots of dust.

I’m attending Burning Man for the first time this year with my good friends Allie, Zack, Ioana + co. Everything (and everyone) has come together well so far that this simply had to be the year I attended—it was divine fate.

The Temple, 2009
Burning Man is an annual event held in the dry lake known as Black Rock Desert in Nevada where as many as 50,000 people come together and create a temporary community.  The event is governed by 10 principles:   -Radical inclusion
-Gifting
-Decommodification
-Radical self-reliance
-Radical self-expression
-Communal Effort
-Civic Responsibility
-Leaving no trace
-Participation
-Immediacy

This year’s theme is Metropolis: The Life of Cities.

As I’ll be incommunicado beginning Monday August 30 to September 6 (at least), you can follow along and live vicariously through Burning Man’s live radio stream at www.bmir.org.

Wish me luck! I’m sure I’ll come back with enough stories and pictures to fill this space for weeks.

Caroline

No comments: