Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Happy autumn everyone!


Today marks the first day of autumn, or to be technical about it, the autumnal equinox. It is when the sun is directly above the Earth's equator, giving us equal parts day and night. After that, it's all downhill until May. But I digress. I'd never seen such beautiful autumns until I came to Chicago. The leaves appear as if they are on fire, the colors are so vibrant. In fact, when the leaves on trees begin to change, I secretly refer to them as rainbow trees, as they start at the top a pale green, ease into a bright yellow, ripen to a bold orange and then dive into a royal red. Set against the vibrant blue sky, almost all colors of the rainbow are represented. It was in Chicago where I discovered Honeycrisp apples, as well. That alone is enough to make me excited for the season each year.

In honor of the start to what I hope will be a lovely fall (and mild winter), I've created an autumn list of things I hope to do, see, eat, experience and acquire.

--Eat a honeycrisp apple every day
--Go apple picking
--Go pumpkin picking
--Carve a pumpkin
--Make one full course meal that includes pumpkin in every course
--On second thought, host a potluck where everyone has to bring a dish (no repeats!) that incorporates pumpkin somehow
--Chicago Diner's annual Thanksgiving dinner
--Find the perfect knit cardi-jacket
--Find the perfect leather boots, brogues
--Get involved in the community (maybe this)
--Practice yoga at least twice a week
--Go for a morning walk at least twice a week
--Chicago Film Festival
--World Music Festival (going on now!)
--Northalsted Halloween Parade
--Expand my library, starting with this and this
--Practice Espanol

Caroline

NOTE: Picture on left by MAV; picture on right by Stephanie Congdon Barnes. Check out their book, A Year of Mornings: 3191 Miles Apart (it's already in my library!).

No comments: