Monday, March 21, 2011

Disaster and the Poster

I read a poignant post from one of my favourite design blogs, The Best Part. He spoke of how the natural disaster in Japan prompted designers to create posters to raise funds toward recovery efforts and how, in the process, he felt the purpose/concept of the poster seemed to get lost and instead added to the machine of production and consumption. Over and over again, he asked the question of, "What are we trying to communicate?" I felt like his words could similarly be applied to journalism. I'm copying his post below, but if you'd like to read from the original source, go here.

"I'm taking a break today from the usual link dump to address a trend I personally find disturbing, and hopefully get your opinion on the subject. As we've all seen with the current situation in Japan, the horrors of natural disaster inspire designers to create posters, of which proceeds go to help fund recovery efforts. This in itself is a noble act, we all want to do what we can when we witness fellow humans in dire need of assistance. We do what we know, and poster designers create posters. Sometimes, however, I think we lose sight of the purpose of the poster itself and instead create misguided monuments to our own ego, adding yet another piece to an already huge pile of production and consumption. 

The question it seems we fail to ask ourselves before creating these posters is "What is the concept of this piece? What am I trying to communicate? Does anyone really want this monument to tragedy hanging on their wall as a decoration?" I understand that the money raised goes to a good cause, but is the middleman of the poster really a necessary step between the donator and recipient? I'm not going to single out specific designs because I truly believe these pieces are done by designers with their hearts in the right place. I will say, however, that most of the designs I've seen so far focus on two elements: the red circle of the Japanese flag and some sort of icon representing either the earthquake, the tsunami or the ensuing wreckage created by both. 

What are we saying? If the intent is to simply communicate that there was a terrible disaster in Japan, then I guess they are successful. But shouldn't the purpose of a relief poster be to create something that motivates its audience to act while communicating a message of hope or some form of kinship within the human race? This is after all a piece of art that is intended to be hung on a wall in someone's home or place of business. As poster designers, it is our duty to create something that functions beyond a simple depiction of a disaster and inspires empathy or even action on the part of the audience. It seems as if we, in a race to get something produced and publicized as quickly as possible, forget the most important role of poster design to begin with...What is its purpose, and what does it say?

I'm definitely not saying we shouldn't donate as much as we can to the relief effort in Japan, obviously this is a terrible tragedy that deserves our help. By all means, donate as much as you can to foundations like the Red Cross or Salvation Army. But do we need another monument to tragedy and consumption in our homes? I can't say I won't purchase a poster that helps fund relief efforts in Japan, but if I do, it will be one that communicates a sense of hope and reverence for Japanese culture rather than destruction and pity."

Caroline

No comments: