Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What are your values?

My friend Bethany works at an HR consulting firm in Philadelphia, where it is unfortunately not always sunny. Recently she e-mailed me and described her latest assignments as re-writing leadership information. She sent me a list of 60 values and challenged me to pick my top ten; five; one.

The timing was perfect as I had just finished speaking with another friend who is working at a law firm and disheartened with her position. She'd recently watched the teen romantic comedy "Say Anything" with John Cusack and it had inspired her to re-examine what her values were before taking the passionless path of practicality. ***Note: I may be describing her situation as more dire than it is in favor of using alliteration.

It was interesting to read over values I'd never considered before (fast living, helping others) and found myself spending more time deciding what new values I wanted to add to my repertoire and scheming how to cheat to get around Bethany's numeric limitation, than actually choosing five. However, when I did set my mind to it, I was surprised at how quickly I identified my values and how little editing I did after my initial selections.

So, I challenge you with the same task of selecting your top five. Write your answers down and keep them in a safe place. Revisit them in ten, or even five years. Or every day if the situation calls for it. And if you really find yourself down, feel free to call John Cusack dumb names for acting in horrible movies like 2012. My top five are after the jump.

Caroline

PS I was kidding about the helping others part.

ACHIEVEMENT
ADVANCEMENT
ADVENTURE
AFFECTION
ARTS
CHALLENGING PROBLEMS
CHANGE &VARIETY
CLOSE RELATIONSHIPS
COMMUNITY
COMPETENCE
DECISIVENESS
ECOLOGICALAWARENESS
ECONOMIC SECURITY
EFFECTIVENESS
EFFICIENCY
EXCELLENCE
EXCITEMENT
FAME
FAMILY
FAST LIVING
FREEDOM
FRIENDSHIP
FUN
HARMONY
HEALTH
HELPINGOTHERS
HELPING SOCIETY
HONESTY
INDEPENDENCE
INFLUENCING
INTEGRITY
INTELLECTUAL STATUS
INVOLVEMENT
JOB TRANQUILITY
KNOWLEDGE
LEADERSHIP
LOCATION
LOYALTY
MEANINGFUL WORK
MONEY
NATURE
ORDER
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
PHYSICAL CHALLENGE
PLEASURE
POWER & AUTHORITY
PRIVACY
PROMOTION
RECOGNITION
RELIGION
REPUTATION
RESPECT
RESPONSIBILITY
SELF SUFFICIENCY
TRUTH
WEALTH
WISDOM
WORK UNDER PRESSURE
WORK WITH OTHERS
WORKING ALONE


My list:

1. Adventure
2. Close relationships
3. Meaningful work
4. Self-sufficiency
5. Arts

No comments: