Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Gap = Nap


So often I talk about my love of graphic design and typography and why I find it fascinating and important. Everyone knows it's not wise to use Lucida Calligraphy as the font for their resume, but apart from that, what's the big deal, right? I didn't always understand the importance of design, but watching the documentary "Helvetica" was really a turning point for me.

Last night the Twittersphere apparently exploded with news about the clothing retailer Gap debuting its new logo on their website. None of the responses were positive; mostly just shock as to how it was so bad.

Designer Bobby Solomon had this to say: "For the last year or so the company has been using a ton of Helvetica Neue in their store-wide branding and advertising, so when I saw the logo it made sense that they would make the move towards the same look. But what absolutely boggled my mind was the tiny, blue, gradient square that sits awkwardly behind the letter “p”. Where before you had a classic, if even outdated logo, now in its place is something that looks like some kinda’ online bank.

There was a lot of brand equity in that big blue square and they didn’t move far away enough from the source for this logo to even begin to feel new or exciting. I think the bigger problem that Gap faces is the fact that they’ve lost their style identity. When I look at the front page of Gap.com I see J.Crew knockoffs, but without the attention to details in the product shots or styling. Gap was once known for their basics, but even that title has been taken away by younger upstart American Apparel, which isn’t in such great shape either. A sad refresh of a logo and confused style direction; things aren’t looking good for the Gap."

All this commentary because of a seemingly harmless logo change. But there lies my point. Design and typography can have huge impacts, ranging from business to psychological. It can be used to completely re-invent (or in this case damage) something. That to me is the most fascinating aspect about design.

What do you think about the new logo? What does it say to you, if anything? How does it make you feel? I thought Solomon's online bank comment was spot-on.

In my humble opinion, I don't even like their use of Helvetica Neue. Any use of Helvetica today just makes me think, 'boring,' 'lazy,' and 'unoriginal.' Not something any business wants clients to think.

Caroline

No comments: